Thursday, April 19, 2012

Coachella 2012: Friday the 13th

This Monday I was asked if I would go to second Coachella weekend if I had the chance. My throbbing left foot sent the message to my brain and “no” came out of my mouth. Did I say hell no? I’m not sure because I already changed my mind. I would go, take me. After 13 years I’m going to finally know what that “I’m missing out on Coachella” feeling is and I don’t like it.

Friday's weather was its own show, the polo grounds always seem so huge with the endless blue sky above. Last year we had a gorgeous full moon that gracefully illuminated our musical wanderings but this year was the first time, in 13 years that it rained. Not a pouring rain; a sprinkle of fat drops here, some sideways rain there, and misty drizzle at the right moments. Unforgettable. Imagine grey low clouds playing peek a boo with the glorious sun all day and then at twilight the sky opened up to reveal a valley of stars. It was romantic like that until our garnachas started to freeze.

Hello Seahorse! I love them so much and sent people to bed the night before by playing all their videos. I want you to be in love with them too, not because they're Mexican and sing in Spanish but because their music transports you. Lo Blondo showed off some of her opera skills, and they ended their set with Un Ano Quebrado, not a broken ass, tu sabes. They deserved the main stage love.

We saw Neon Indian, Jimmy Cliff, and then to Madness at the Outdoor theater. Madness sounded so good and I did not expect to shed tears to "Our House" but it just triggered those memories of our house on Lexington and how those lyrics are some of the ones I first understood as I transitioned from ESL in first grade. You know how songs remind you not just of your youth but your family's youth when our house was a crowd and mom was so house proud. Just got me nostalgic and choked up but then we skanked it over back to Coachella stage for Pulp. Angelica gives best in show to Pulp and don't hate me for not being a fan, I just don't know their music, I recognize the hits and I know they're important and British. Jarvis Cocker did sound amazing and if La Hopie wasn't playing then I would have watched their full set too. We moved on to Frank Ocean in the Gobi who started off with some country twang and then some R&B stuff that made us take steps back to Pulp. See, I know what's good for me.

Mazzy Star, I wasn't the girl in black in high school but freshman year in college a roommate let me borrow their CDs and I never gave them back. I've seen Hope Sandoval and I knew what to expect but I could tell something wasn't going her way for the first couple of songs. We got reports from friends that were closer that she was bothered by people in the VIP section. I was bothered by the VIP section too Hopie! Why is it so obnoxious now, it takes up my prime viewing area at the outdoor stage and a lot of time it's empty. The band got in synch with She Hangs Brightly and by the time she got to Ghost Highway we were all panza gazing. Cue the misty rain, the lights, the fuzz, we look up after So Tonight That I Might See to an empty stage. I think our group was entranced with the spectacle; the wet desert earth smell, the sad palm trees behind her, the drizzle and her voice- best in show for me.

I could've gone home happy after that but my mission was full sets of M83 and The Horrors. Then we stumbled into the Gobi for a very small hyped crowd, Atari Teenage Riot was amazing. Why didn't I love this band in the 90s? Was I trying to walk away from my house/techno love? I don't know, but I missed out on them then. Dope shit, like amazing powerful voice from that girl and crazy electronic beats with a message!? We should've watched the entire set but we walked back to the Outdoor Theater. There I stood by myself in plastic clothes as I froze listening to some rock opera shit with no lyrics called Explosions in the Sky. Stuff Carlos likes, then we rolled deep to M83.

Something happened with M83, they weren't loud, not loud enough, we were by the speakers and talking and we could hear ourselves talking. I mean, we're next to speakers at a M83 show!?! The crowd was loving it but we just kept looking at each other like what happened? We sat down, it rained more, we got up, we were cold. You know where this is going.

Waiting til midnight for the Horrors, at first I thought it a perfect end to go home with them buzzing in your brain but we couldn't freakin hang. Once we heard the songs I needed to hear live (I know, I hate those people) we walked towards the car. But I lie, someone said they had to go to the bathroom and I had to find brother Jim...so Angie and I walked around the small crowd towards the rail on the right side. Why wasn't there a massive crowd, come on people!!! He's a sexy dude,talented and if you love Ian Curtis' and Paul Bank's voice then you'll love his- I know they'll be around so no problem ey. I'm happy they were there and I finally heard them live. I missed them in 2009, but that doesn't matter because I'm in love with them now.

A la casa, slumber party! She's still this hauntingly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment